Sunday, November 3, 2013

Birthday Pie

In my family birthdays are always special. I guess my Mom started that when we were little by letting us pick what meal we wanted for our special day, but more importantly what dessert would be the best thing ever.  For me the meal was popcorn shrimp and the cake was angelfood with sprinkles inside and a light frosting on top. My Mom still makes that cake for me when she can.

I started this tradition for my kids as well. When they were little I made the fancy character cakes that took hours and hours.

Alf

He Man


Dinosaur lover here!













As they got older my boys decided that cake wasn't really what they wanted for birthdays. Christopher loves chocolate cheesecake so when he's here I make that. I have the most wonderful recipe for this and not one crumb goes to waste.  Nick likes cherry pie.  Nick's birthday is Oct. 28 so we celebrated this week with his favorite meal - steak and spinach pinwheels and cherry pie with vanilla ice cream.  I think it was a hit. 


 One year a friend invited us to a 4th of July party and I made this pie and used little cookie cutters for the top crust. I think I just used the stars all over the top. That idea kind of stuck so now I always make this pie with the cookie cutter shapes on it. I think it makes it a little more special.



Doesn't that look yummy?  It was!


The twins weren't too crazy about the pie but they did get their first taste of ice cream - it is appropriate that this was at Grammy's house!  Reagan got his first ice cream at my house too - as it should be...


On the flower side of life - this week I found a cluster of grapes that for some reason the birds and lizards didn't get. They were well on their way to being raisins so I didn't get to eat them, but they did make for a great photograph.

No comments:

Post a Comment