Sunday, September 13, 2015

Blessings

A few days ago I had my air conditioner maintenance company come for their routine check of the system. They were here back in February and warned me that there might be a problem developing but I was in such a fog then that I didn't pay much attention. The news on this visit was not so good. The compressor was dying and because it holds freon it would cost $4000 to replace, or I could get a whole new AC system that was up to current building codes for $8000. It was a hard decision but I decided to get the new system so I don't have to worry about it. But now there is the part about paying for it. I worried and fussed over that for a few days and nights but then came to the realization that I do have options that other people may not have, great credit, a good job and resources to pay for this unexpected expense. I have a coworker who would have to go without AC if this happened to her. She has no resources and no credit - I am blessed, sometimes I just need to stop my whining and realize it.
This is the crane taking the old AC unit off and the new one is sitting on the ground ready to go up.
Then I was thinking back over all the other 'bad' things that have happened to me since January, and found the good in them too. My husband moved out and filed for divorce, and as soon as the divorce was final a few months later, he was engaged to someone else. How sad is that?  This whole episode, as well as the 3 awful years before that made me realize that he didn't love me, or care about me the way a real man should. I was just a stop over for him to get what he needed at the time, and he had no problem walking away and convincing another poor woman that he is the perfect man for her. I should have known that someone who would not talk to his own children for 8 years could/would do the same thing to me. My blessing was to come out of that relationship stonger, smarter and more determined than ever. 

I had a scare in June that I might have breast cancer. That whole episode showed me that I have wonderful friends who will be with me through thick and thin. I am blesssed to have these friends and my family in my life.

I'm still trying to figure out the blessing behind the broken water pipe in my front yard that took $5000 to fix. I'm sure there was something in that as well - maybe that my tree out there got a good soaking and made it through our extremely hot summer in good shape.

I Stand Before My God Alone
Our choir has a new song "I Stand Here With My God Alone" and that's what I named this watercolor. It says that I will put away blame and be responsible for my actions. I think this whole song means that in the end, it is just you and God, and as I told my choir a few weeks ago, when the time comes for your death, you better be right wtih God because it will be just you and him. I plan on going in for a hug!  I am blessed to be in this choir and blessed to be able to do my artwork as well. I'm so excited and blessed that other people actually like it!

A few months ago our daily newsletter at work suggested writing down 3 blessings a day for 21 days. I did that, putting them on post-its on the fridge. I think it does help to stop once in a while and write down your blessings so you realize just how good your life is, despite the trials you face. I had no trouble filling up those post-its.  And like the old song says, "count your blessings, name them one by one..."  I plan on continuing to do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment