Saturday, April 30, 2016

Pond Revisited

As most of you know, I had a big pond in my back yard. It was dug by the ex, and was one of his projects. When we became no longer WE, I decided it needed to go. Mainly because it was a lot of work and worry to maintain, and it wasn't my dream that had to be managed, it was his. So along with purging the other crap in my life, it needed to go.  I successfully relocated 4 turtles and about 100 fish and drained it, then the work started.  That big hole needed to be filled in. Unfortunately I tore a tendon in my arm doing some of the initial work and am restricted from lifting anything with my right arm. Bummer!  I have a college student who mows my lawn and is always looking for extra money and he was more than eager to help me with this project. So I had 10 tons of fill dirt delivered and he went to work.  I did help, probably more than I should have, but I just can't help it.

 

It took him about 5 hours to fill in the hole.  I let that settle for a couple of weeks and then my college boy and I went to the nursery and bought 15 bags of potting soil and what I lovingly refer to as earth worm poop to cover this. I had also put in a drip system so it will get watered every morning.  In one section I have been transplanting some tiff grass to fill in a bit more of the lawn. That is growing really well and by the end of summer it should be nice and thick.

Today, the one year anniversary of my divorce, I went to the nursery again (they know me by name there) and bought plants for the flower side of the bridge. I got those all planted and I'm excited to see how they do in the months to come. I even went out and moved my gnomes so they can watch over things.  (I took this picture before I moved those guys)

Below is the other side of the bridge which will be for vegetables. I have't decided what I want here yet and may have to wait for fall to really get things going on this side. 

And on the FLOUR side of my life, I'm going to our neighborhood block party tonight. I made these little goodies to take.  They are pumpkin spice muffins/cupcakes with cream cheese frosting. They are quiet tasty - I had to try one! 



No comments:

Post a Comment