Sunday, July 21, 2013

My NYC

I've never considered myself an artist, although I have always liked to doodle and sketch, and I did take an art class in college. A few years ago Bill gave me s set of watercolor paints and I have been doodling with them a bit since then.  I recently saw a watercolor on Pinterest that was a surrealist cityscape that was really interesting. I sketched and painted a copy of that to see what I could do with it.

It wasn't bad but I wasn't crazy about it, and I want to get away from copying other people's paintings and do my own.  I used this picture that I took from the Empire State Building in NYC in March, and created my own painting of "My NYC". 



It started with a sketch, then I filled it in with color.




 I thought I would show you the progression
of my work on this piece. It was fun, but took
A long time.  It is a little abstract, but I think that
way, believe it or not.

So what do you think? I debated about adding windows to all these buildings but I kind of like to think of them as being empty for some reason.   Bill wants me to turn it into a needlework project. That could be interesting.  Stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment